Lupus Disease – Lupus is an autoimmune systemic disease in which your immune system mistakenly attacks your own tissues in various parts of the body. It can affect ANY tissue, organ or system and commonly involves the kidneys, brain, heart, skin and blood.
Lupus Disease is also called: Lupus, Lupus SLE, SLE, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
About Lupus Disease
Here are a few details about Lupus Disease to help you better understand this autoimmune disease:
- 9 in 10 cases of Lupus are women and commonly between 15-45 years old.
- There are many factors that typically represent someone diagnosed with Lupus Disease: genetic predisposition, immune regulation and association with Epstein-Barr Virus
- Other autoimmune disease associations: Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and Sjögren’s Syndrome
- A diagnosis can be difficult to determine as it mimics other diseases and is known as a disease imitator.
- This is some BASIC information but it all must be INDIVIDUALIZED in the clinical practice. ALL LUPUS PATIENTS ARE DIFFERENT.
Lupus Disease Symptoms
+ Systemic: malaise, fatigue, weight loss, unexplained fever.
+ Neurological: seizures, mood disorders, headaches, cognitive dysfunction (decline in attention, memory, etc).
+ Cardiopulmonary: chest pain caused by pleuritis, pericarditis, serositis, myocarditis; pulmonary hypertension.
+ Cutaneous: alopecia, rash, malar erythema (butterfly rash – nose and cheeks), discoid rash, photosensitivity, oral ulcers.
Blood disorders: thrombocytopenia (easy bruising), thrombosis, anemia, splenomegaly.
+ Musculoskeletal: achy, swollen joints (arthritis), myalgias, myopathy.
+ Renal: lupus nephritis.
Establishing a Lupus Diagnosis
+ Integrative Health MD
+ Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine ND
+ ANA – antinuclear antibodies
Lupus Disease Treatments
- Stress management.
- DIET: healing through food, nourishing your body.
- Movement: I love yoga and pilates.
- Hobbies: mine are reading, enjoying a glass of wine, photography, my Autoimmune Awareness page, find what you like!
- Spending the right amount of time with the right amount of people.
- POSITIVE MIND.
Medications for Lupus
- Antibiotics oral /IV
- Ozone Therapy
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- High Dose Vitamin C IV Therapy
- Myers Cocktail IV Therapy
- Diet and Lifestyle and more.
- Many of these therapies mentioned are done in conjunction with others .