Imagine a dessert that is not only not bad for you, but is actually incredibly healing for your gut, and totally guilt free! This banoffee tart offers just that.
Filled with gut-healing probiotics, and healthy, nutrient dense swaps like medjool dates (instead of caramel), and activated nuts (instead of a gluten & dairy-filled crust), this dessert is sure to impress!
One thing to keep in mind is that you must use a thick coconut yogurt to avoid ruining the crust. Our recommendation is to use the Aroy’d Coconut Milk Yogurt from our last post with Luvele, but any coconut yogurt recipe from Luvele’s site will work great!
You will need a high quality blender for this recipe in order to achieve a smooth filling, and to properly process the ingredients for the crust. Our favorite blender is Luvele’s Vibe Blender, which is perfect for those tougher ingredients.
This recipe is gluten free, vegan, and with a few modifications, can easily be made paleo, SCD, and GAPS friendly!
Let’s get on with the recipe.
Raw Coconut Yogurt Banoffee Tart
- 1 Cup Almonds (preferably activated)
- 1 Cup Pecans (preferably activated)
- 1 Cup Gluten Free Oats (or cashews or almonds)
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
- 5 Medjool Dates (seeds removed and chopped into small pieces)
Banana Cream Filling
- 1 Cup Homemade Coconut Yogurt
- 1 1/4 Cup Cashew (soaked in water with 1 teaspoon of salt for 2 hours)
- 2 Bananas (over ripe)
- 8 Medjool Dates (seeds removed)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar (or raw honey)
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil (firm set or melted is fine)
- 1/2 Cup Thick Homemade Coconut Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 Medjool Dates (seeds removed and chopped into strips)
- 1 Banana
- 2-3 Squares 70% Dark Chocolate grated (omit for SCD and substitute with toasted shredded coconut)
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 27cm tart tin (with removable base) with coconut oil.
- Place the nuts into Vibe blender jug and 'pulse' twice to break them into small pieces.
- Add the remaining base ingredients and 'pulse' another 2 times.
- Run a spatula down under the ingredients and around the blades.
- Continue to pulse until the consistency is a sticky crumb.
- Run the spatula under the blades again if required. Do not over blend and don't worry if there are larger pieces of nut in the mixture.
- Pour the nut mixture into the prepared in and press down with the back of the spoon to form a solid base.
- Place the base in the fridge until the cream filling is ready. There is no need to wash the blender jug for the cream filling.
Banana Cream Filling
- Drain the cashew in a colander or sieve, then rinse under running water to remove the salt.
- Add all the ingredients into the Vibe blender jug in the order listed.
- Insert the tamper into the lid and secure it on the jug.
- Blend on 'smoothie' mode for 30 seconds, or until a smooth, creamy paste using the tamper to push the cashews down into the blades.
- Pour the filling mixture onto the tart base then return to the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- Slice the banana into coins and decorate the top of the tart.
- Combine the homemade coconut yogurt (no watery yogurt) and honey or maple syrup in a small jug, then drizzle over the banana.
- Sprinkle with pieces of sliced medjool date and grated dark chocolate.
- Place in the fridge to set. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy straight from the fridge as the tart becomes soft in warm weather.