Looking for a quick, delicious, and healthy treat? Look no further than these four ingredient chocolate sunbutter dates!
I have a confession. I have a pretty big sweet tooth. Like giant. I always have. When I first began eating an anti-inflammatory-style diet, I started monitoring my sugar intake. I knew refined sugar was negatively affecting my autoimmune symptoms, so it was something that had to go.
Once I started reaping the benefits of eliminating inflammatory foods, I knew I wasn’t going to let the junky, sugary candy, cookies, and cakes I previously ate back into my life. I was firm in my decision, but that didn’t completely solve my love for sweets. I definitely wasn’t craving sugar like I had before (thank goodness because it. was. bad.), but I still wanted a yummy treat to occasionally indulge in.
Enter Chocolate Sunbutter Dates
If you aren’t familiar, dates are sweet, dried fruit that look like giant raisins, but they taste way better. Add a little sunbutter (or nut butter of your choice) and voila you’ve got yourself a pretty tasty snack. Add some chocolate and ooooh mama! You’ve got yourself a goodie that your tastebuds will be thanking you for.
Allow me to introduce: Chocolate Sunbutter Dates.
Chocolate sunbutter dates are super simple and fast to whip up. The recipe is easy to adjust to fit your dietary needs or preferences. You can make one or two for yourself, or make as many as you want to bring to a get-together.
A Quick Note Before You Dive In
You can use any variation of ingredients to make your chocolate sunbutter dates, but organic Medjool dates, a sun/nut butter with minimal ingredients (the one I used here, SunButter, only has sunflower seeds and salt!), allergen friendly, dairy free chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life) and organic coconut oil are used here for a reason.
Organic ingredients are always going to be preferable to non-organic because of how they are grown/processed to minimize pesticides and toxins, and allergen-friendly chocolate is a fantastic (and delicious) option to comply with a dairy-free diet.
Oh, and one more pro tip: If you don’t have the time or desire to melt the chocolate, sprinkle a couple of chocolate chips on the sunbutter instead. They are just as good this way. Trust me. I’ve taste-tested it enough to know.
Chocolate Sunbutter Dates
- 12 Medjool Dates (Organic is best)
- 6-12 tsp Sunbutter
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (Allergen-friendly/Dairy Free like Enjoy Life)
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil (Organic)
- Remove pits from dates (or buy already pitted dates).
- Fill pitted dates with approximately 1/2 tsp of sunbutter. You may need more sunbutter for larger dates.
- Place 1/2 cup allergen friendly chocolate chips and 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil in a glass bowl and heat in microwave to melt chocolate. Heat in increments of 30 seconds, remove bowl and stir chocolate. Heat until chocolate is throughly melted, but do not over heat. (Should take approximately 1 minute.)
- Dip dates into the chocolate, coating the date halfway. Place dates on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Allow chocolate to set, or pop into the freezer for 10 minutes to set chocolate quicker.
- Store any leftovers (if there are any!) in an airtight container in the fridge.
Leave a Comment