In order to truly cultivate deep love for yourself, it is important to implement daily habits and tips for self love.
Many people think that self love involves a long bath, some candles, and painting their nails. Although these things are nice, indulging in a self care night once a month is not the most effective way to build greater self love in your life. In order to truly deepen your inner love, it is important to implement self love habits and practices into your daily life.
Like building any other habit, if you commit to doing it daily, over time it will become second nature. By implementing the following habits and tips for self love you will soon feel more balanced, refreshed, and happy with your life.
Establish A Morning Routine For You
For many, the morning is a frantic time. Rushing around all morning just to get out the door and to the office on time. But, by simply getting up a little earlier, you can create a morning routine that allows you to start the day off on your terms. By starting the day off with things you enjoy, you are proving to yourself that you are worthy of time for yourself first thing in the morning. This is an incredible act of self love and self care.
In terms of establishing a morning routine, it is important to make it something you enjoy. If you fill it with activities or tasks that you dread then you will hit the snooze button a dozen times before getting up. Below are some ideas to include in your morning routine. I suggest you include some or all of the following!
Morning Routine Ideas
- Phone Free Time: For the duration of your morning routine, or at least the first 30 minutes of your day, I suggest not going on social media or emails. This allows you to really be with yourself first thing in the morning, without distractions from the outside world.
- Hydration: First thing in the morning we are dehydrated from a long night’s sleep. So commit to drinking at least 8-16 oz of water when you wake up. If you can, do this before your coffee or tea to really hydrate your cells and wake you up.
- Practice Mindfulness: This step can be done in a multitude of different ways. Journaling, meditating, yoga, or prayer are all great options. But, if none of these are your thing, then maybe you just commit to being mindful during one of your morning activities. Perhaps you commit to being fully present with your self when you enjoy your morning coffee or apply your skincare. Regardless, try to spend at least 2-5 minutes in the morning being mindful before you start your day.
- Move Your Body: Start your day off with some sort of movement, even if it’s 1 minute of stretches before you get out of bed or a walk around your house. Get your body moving to stretch out any kinks from sleeping and get your blood pumping.
- Get Inspired: In the morning, consume something that will help you to grow or get you inspired. This may be a favorite podcast, a book, or a show you enjoy. This should be the last part of your routine so that you can begin the day on your terms with your thoughts before adding in inspiration from others. Something I do every morning that is simple but gets me inspired is reading one page from The Daily Stoic book. Find something that gets you excited and ready to start your day off right.
Regardless of what you include in your morning routine. Give yourself at least 15 minutes of extra time in the morning that is just for you. Allowing yourself space to start your day on your terms is an ultimate form of self love.
Nourish Your Body
Another tip for self love should include nourishing food and beverages into your daily life. Focus on fueling your body with food that is good for you and helps you to truly thrive. It is also important to drink plenty of water every day. A good rule of thumb is to drink a minimum of half of your body weight (in pounds) in ounces of water every day. So for example, if you weigh 150 pounds you would drink a minimum of 75 ounces of water a day.
Nourish your body with a diet that helps you to feel good. It may take time to figure out what diet works for you depending on any illnesses/conditions you may have. But regardless, try to follow a diet that is rich in vegetables and fruits, loaded with natural vitamins and minerals, and has adequate dietary fiber.
Including movement into your day is another important tip for self love. Many people sit all day long for their job, myself included. That is why it is extremely important to include some form of movement into your everyday life. It does not have to be a lot, but committing to moving every single day is a great act of self love. Moving your body is vital to having healthy bones, joints, and muscles, and it also helps with heart health among many other benefits.
A challenge I set for myself this year is 21 in 2021. This means that I have to move a minimum of 21 minutes every single day. This can be in the form of a workout, yoga class, stretching, or walking. It does not matter what I do, as long as I move. This may be a challenge that you could adapt to help you commit to moving every single day.
Do Something You Love Everyday
In order to live a happy life it is important to commit to doing a minimum of one thing you love every day. It does not have to be a big time commitment, but it is important to include hobbies or activities that you love into your daily life. By doing so, you are putting yourself first (even for only a few minutes).
It is important that this activity or hobby be something beyond your job. If you love your job, that is amazing, but try to do something else for yourself either before or after work that will make you happy. Try to mix up what activities/hobbies you are doing so that you stay inspired.
Some ideas for some hobbies/acitivites could include:
- Making a cup of tea for yourself
- Reading a book
- Painting, Colouring, and/or Drawing
- Painting your nails (I personally love to do a gel manicure with gems and everything)
- Knitting or Crochet
- Needle Point
- Crafting & DIYing
- Singing or Playing/Learning an Instrument
- Writing (poems, books, stories)
- Content Creation (Making videos/podcasts/social media content)
- Time with Friends
- Time with Partner/Family
Get Enough Sleep
Getting an adequate amount of sleep is another daily habit/tip for self love. Sometimes getting enough sleep is difficult, but by aiming to get an adequate amount of sleep, this will help you to feel refreshed and happier every single day. Sleep and rest is an incredible form of self love. By allowing yourself to get proper time for rest and sleep, you are making your health a priority.
If falling asleep or getting enough sleep is difficult for you, try to adapt a better night routine that allows you to unwind. In addition, you may try something like melatonin or other supplements to help your body to calm down at bedtime. In order to have the energy to do all the other tips for self love, you will need to have proper rest. So, start by getting your sleep on track, and the rest will fall into place.
Overall, I hope that these daily habits and tips for self love help you to cultivate greater happiness in your life. Remember, making yourself a priority every single day is the greatest form of self love there is.
Leave a Comment